Who doesn’t like to live with their cats, right? So it is seen that many people like to keep cats as pets in their houses. You will be amazed to know that there are hundreds of breeds of cats existing in the world.
Usually, people would like to go for a Persian cat or an American Shorthair cat, but nowadays, you will find the demand for Calico cats is rising in many areas. Well, if we are talking about the Calico cat, then it’s better to know about it in detail so that you can get a better knowledge of it.
What is Calico cat?
A calico cat is a domestic cat with a tri-colour coat with around 25%-75% white coat on them with large patches of orange or black or sometimes cream and grey. Most Calico cats are females, but there are always exceptions due to rare genetic conditions and cross-breeding.
The calico pattern is also known as tortoiseshells and white in North America. Calico word refers to the colour pattern on the fur’s coat on the cat. Mostly you will find only female calico cats around the world because of the genetic determination of the X chromosome.
However, if you found a male calico, you would notice that they have only one pattern on their coat or fur.
How much do calico cats weigh?
Most people get confused between a calico cat and a tortoiseshell cat. Well, it’s time to clear up the facts as I will tell you the facts that will help you differentiate your calico cat from other breeds.
Also, it is essential to know these facts to keep a check on their health.
- The calico cat weighs around 4-8 pounds when they are small, and as they grow up, their weight varies from 9-12 pounds. However, there are some cases in which the weight of the calico cat is 25 pounds.
- It all depends on the breed and genetics of the cat, as most of the calico cats are females.
- At birth, the weight of the calico cat is around 3 ounces and gains half an ounce per day.
- The calico cat weighs 2 pounds when she is 10 weeks old. These cats require a lot of nourishment till they reach adulthood.
How much should a calico cat weigh?
Well, if you have a full-grown calico cat at home, her weight should be around 9-12 pounds, and if you have a smaller one, then her weight should be around 4-8 pounds.
Well, the weight of the calico cat depends on the species as well; for example, a full-grown Scottish fold calico cat weighs 6-9 pounds, whereas a full-grown Maine Coon calico cat weighs 9-12 pounds.
What is the average weight of a Calico cat?
Calico cats are mostly females, and if we talk about the average weight of the calico cats, then it is believed that the average weight of Calico cats is around 7-12 pounds, and that also depends on the breed and type calico cats.
Also, male calico cats’ weight is different from female ones. However, male calico cats are rare ones, and you can find around 16 breeds of calico cats found worldwide.
What are the weight issues in calico cats?
Most calico cats are healthy and maintain their weight, but many scenarios of obese cats affect their shape and size. Here are some of the points that you need to keep in mind that will help you determine whether your calico cat is suffering from obesity or not.
- You cannot feel the ribs of the obese calico cat because of the high body percentage, and a malnourished cat’s ribs are visible because of the tiny fat percentage.
- An obese calico cat has a round figure with zero waistlines, whereas a healthy calico cat has a slight waistline.
- An obese calico cat weighs more than 9 pounds, whereas a healthy and full-grown calico cat weighs between 7-9 pounds.
- With the weight issues, cats have to suffer other problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, and some form of cancer.
What are the healthy diet options for a calico cat for a healthy weight?
Like human beings, animals also have to maintain their healthy weight to live a healthy lifestyle and be free from diseases. In the case of calico cats, here are some of the recommended foods that will help them maintain a healthy weight.
- A full-grown calico cat should eat 1 ounce of canned food or half an ounce of dry fruits as per their body weight.
- If your cat is overweight, it is vital to note a trusted doctor and start her diet.
How can you identify the Calico cat?
If you feel difficulty finding the right calico cat, these are the points that will help you identify them quickly.
- Calico cats have white fur with black and orange patches on their bodies.
- Most of the orange patches have typical lines and dots.
- According to the Cat Fancier’s Association, you will find different breeds of the calico cat as, according to the Cat Fancier’s Association, there are around 16 breeds of a calico cat.
- They have come in different sizes and are also short, medium and long-haired.
- Different breeds have different patches on their fur coat. For example, if you find a white fur coat with blue and cream patches, it is called dilute calico.
However, there are different breeds and characteristics of Calico cats that should be check when you want to buy one.
The Bottom Line
So with the help of our research we can conclude that if you want to pet a Calico cat or already petting one, then it is essential to know about their characteristics and weight measures.
If you are not aware, then it would be difficult for you to check out your cat’s health condition and behaviour. However, the above points will give you an idea about the healthy weight scale of a new breed and full-grown calico cat.